Dr Kien Van Nguyen is a postdoctoral research fellow in indigenous entrepreneurship at ANU Research School of Management (RMS), a former research fellow at Fenner School of Environment and Society, the Australian National University (ANU), and a current adjunct senior research fellow at School of Rural Science, University of New England, Australia.
Kien has promoted sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity using the agroecology framework in recovering the floating rice-based agroecological farming systems in the Mekong Region and Myanmar. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the Fenner School from 2014 to 2019 under the Luc Hoffmann Research Institute (LHI) and Mitsui Environmental Fund. Kien was involved in the Mekong research team at ANU Fenner School of Environment and Society (FSES) to study "navigating the Mekong nexus of water, food and energy.
Kien graduated PhD in Sociology at the ANU in 2012 under the Australian Leadership Award (ALA). His thesis was on 'Social Capital, Livelihood Diversification, and Households' Resilience to Floods in the Vietnamese Mekong River Delta.
Kien developed effetive partnerships with international researchers, donors, government agenices, NGOs, local governments, private sector, farmers and associations in Mekong Countries
Kien has developed social research skills, using mixed methods to study social, environmental and rural sociology and the organic agriculture movement. Kien has taught social research methods for undergraduate and rural development and master agriculture and environmental management students at An Giang University, Vietnam.
Kien has led 16 and co-led 18 international research projects in agroecology and food security in the Mekong Region.
Through the DFAT-funded project, Kien promotes organic food production, certification and trade between Australia and Vietnam under the Australia-Vietnam Enhanced Economic Engagement Program.
He developed Mekong Organics PTY LTD to translate science into policy to promote sustainable agriculture-nutrition-health in the Mekong Region.
- Phuong Lan, N & Nguyen, V 2021, 'Back to Nature-Based Agriculture: Green Livelihoods Are Taking Root in the Mekong River Delta', Journal of People, Plants, and Environment, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 551-561pp.
- Nguyen, V 2020, 'Perception of Challenges in Opportunities for Organic Food Research and Development in Vietnam', in Bee Chen Goh & Rohan Price (ed.), Regulatory Issues in Organic Food Safety in the Asia Pacific, Springer Nature, Singapore, pp. 199-216.
- Dumaresq, D, Nguyen, V, Pittock, J et al. 2020, 'The paradoxical values of traditional deep water floating rice systems', Global Food Security, vol. 26, pp. 1-9.
- Freed, S, Barman, B, Dubois, M et al. 2020, 'Maintaining Diversity of Integrated Rice and Fish Production Confers Adaptability of Food Systems to Global Change', Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, vol. 4.
- Nguyen, V, Han, N & Cramb, R 2020, 'Trends in Rice-Based Farming Systems in the Mekong Delta', in Rob Cramb (ed.), White Gold: The Commercialisation of Rice Farming in the Lower Mekong Basin, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore, pp. 347-375.
- Grady, C, Nguyen, V, Nguyen, V et al. 2018, 'Who is being left behind? An analysis of improved drinking water and basic sanitation access in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 508-519pp.
- Nguyen, V, Dumaresq, D & Pittock, J 2018, 'Impacts of rice intensification on rural households in the Mekong Delta: emerging relationships between agricultural production, wild food supply and food consumption', Food Security, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1615-1629.
- Nguyen, V & Howie, C, eds, 2018, Conservation and Development of the Floating Rice Based Agro-Ecological Farming Systems in the Mekong Delta, Agricultural Publishing House, Hanoi.
- Pittock, J & Nguyen, V 2017, Rice: The role of traditional floating rice systems, p. 10.
- Nguyen, V, Dumaresq, D & Howie, C 2016, 'Dike Compartments in the Mekong Delta: Case Studies in Water Governance, Farming systems and Adaptation to Water-Regime Changes in An Giang Province, Vietnam', in D J H Blake and L Robins (ed.), Water Governance Dynamics in the Mekong Region, Strategic Information and Research Development Centre, Malaysia, pp. 279-310.
- Nguyen, V 2016, 'The values and recovery progress of floating rice-based agro-ecological systems for adaptation to climate change in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', World Conference on Climate Change, World Conference on Climate Change, Spain, pp. 1pp.
- Liao, K, Le, A & Nguyen, V 2016, 'Urban design principles for flood resilience: Learning from the ecological wisdom of living with floods in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 155, pp. 69-78pp.
- Thuy, T, Phong, L, Nguyen, V et al. 2016, 'The Impacts of Paraquat and Chlorpyrifos in Agricultural Production on Environment and Farmers' Health in An Giang Province, Vietnam', Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 860-866.
- Nguyen, V 2016, 'Community resilience to floods: a case study of mobile kindergartens in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam', in Helen James and Douglas Paton (ed.), The Consequences of Disasters: Demographic, Planning, and Policy Implications, Charles C Thomas Publisher Ltd, Springfield, United States, pp. 224-252.
- Nguyen, V & Huynh, D 2015, 'FORUM - Conserving the benefits of floating rice in Vietnam'.
- Nguyen, V, Vo, O & Huynh, D 2015, 'Comparing the costs and benefits of floating rice-based and intensive rice-based farming systems in the Mekong Delta', Asian Journal of Agricultural and Rural Development, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 202-217.
- Nguyen, V & Alexander , K 2014, 'Farmers' perceptions and responses to annual flood events in the Vietnamese Mekong River Delta: Adapting to Climate Change Impacts', in Stucker, D., Lopez-Gunn, E. (ed.), Adaptation to Climate Change through Water Resources Management: Capacity, Equity, and Sustainability, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, UK, pp. 89-109.
- Nguyen, V 2014, An Economic Evaluation of Flood Dike Construction in the Mekong Delta. Cost-Benefit Analysis of Flood Protection Dike Construction in An Giang Province, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Nguyen, V & James, H 2013, 'Measuring household resilience to floods: a case study in the Vietnamese Mekong River Delta', Ecology and Society, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 13-13.
- Nguyen, V 2012, Social capital, livelihood diversification and household resilience to annual flood events in the Vietnamese Mekong River Delta.
- Nguyen, V 2011, Social capital, livelihood diversification & household resilience to floods in Vietnam's Mekong River delta.