Emma Aisbett is an Associate Professor at the School of Law and Associate Director (Research) for ANU Grand Challenge - Zero-Carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific. Emma’s previous research spans economic globalization, environmental policy, developing countries, and political economy. She is best known for her work on international investment agreements where she has influenced both academic debate and policy. On this topic Emma has been an invited expert at both the OECD and the UN Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). She is also an approved supplier of policy advice to developing countries through the UK Governments TAF2+ initiative.
The Zero-Carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific Grand Challenge aims to provide research and engagement undpinning a rapid, just and sustainable transition to zero-carbon energy in the region. In particular, the project focusses on Australia's potential to contribute by exporting zero-carbon energy and zero-carbon-energy-rich products, as well as policies, frameworks, and technologies that can be use throughout the Asia-Pacific and beyond. More information on the Zero-carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific Grand Challenge at https://www.anu.edu.au/zerocarbon.
Emma contributes to the Zero-Carbon Energy Grand Challenge both as a researcher and as the Associate Director (Research). In the latter role Emma uses her interdisciplinary background to enable social and physcial scientists, legals scholars and engineers create the inter- and trans-disciplinary research necessary to solve wicked problems like the Zero-carbon Energy Grand Challenge. Her own research on the project focusses on trade and investment aspects - particularly evolution of necessary international economic law and international political economy considerations.
- Brahmadesham Venkataraman, M, Csereklyei, Z, Aisbett, E et al. 2022, 'Zero-carbon steel production: The opportunities and role for Australia', Energy Policy, vol. 163.
- Burke, P, Beck, F, Aisbett, E, Hunt J.et al. 2022, 'Contributing to regional decarbonization: Australia's potential to supply zero-carbon commodities to the Asia-Pacific', Energy, vol. 248, pp. 1-12.
- Aisbett, E, Silberberger, M & Silberberger, M 2021, 'Tariff liberalization and product standards: Regulatory chill and race to the bottom?', Regulation & Governance, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 987-1006.
- Aisbett, E, Harrison, A, Levine, D et al. 2021, 'Do Multinational Corporations Exploit Foreign Workers?', in FRITZ FOLEY, JAMES R. HINES, and DAVID WESSEL (ed.), Global Goliaths: Multinational Corporations in the 21st Century Economy, Brookings Institution Press, Washington DC, pp. 257ÃÂ¢Ã¢Â¬Ã¢98.
- Kenny, M, Jotzo, F & Aisbett, E 2021, Democracy Sausage with Mark Kenny: Technology, targets, and Australiaâ€™s climate challenge.
- Aisbett, E & Bonnitcha, J 2021, 'A Pareto-Improving Compensation Rule for Investment Treaties', Journal of International Economic Law, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 181-202.
- Bonnitcha, J & Aisbett, E 2021, 'Against balancing: Revisiting the use/regulation distinction to reform liability and compensation under investment treaties', University of Michigan journal of law reform. University of Michigan. Law School, vol. 42, pp. 231-290.
- Aisbett, E, Pirlot, A, Mehling, M et al. 2021, 'Close the carbon loophole', One Earth, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 587-590.
- Aisbett, E, Baldwin, K, Beck, F et al. 2020, Submission to Joint Standing Committee on Trade and Investment Growth
- White, L, Fazeli, R, Cheng, W et al. 2020, 'Towards emissions certification systems for international trade in hydrogen: the policy challenge of defining boundaries for emissions accounting', Energy, vol. 215, no. A.
- Schram, A, Aisbett, E, Townsend, B et al 2020, 'Toxic trade: the impact of preferential trade agreements on alcohol imports from Australia in partner countries", Addiction, 115(7): 1277- 1284. doi.org/10.1111/add.14925
- Baldwin, K, Dreise, A, Hunt, J et al. 2019, Submission to the Senate Select Committee on the effectiveness of the Australian Government's Northern Australia agenda.
- Baldwin, K, Aisbett, E, White, L, Dreise, T, Hunt, J, O'Neill, L, Thorburn, K, Riley, B, Bai, X, Peng, Y, Beck, F, Brahmadesham Venkataraman, M, Blakers, A, Stocks, M, Lu, B, Bridges, T, Purchase, R, Burke, P, Anjum, Z, 2019, Submission to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation: WA Climate Change Strategy Issues Paper.
- Burke, Paul J., Widnyana, Jinnie, Anjum, Zeba, Aisbett, Emma, Resosudarmo, Budy P., and Baldwin, Kenneth G.H. 2019. Overcoming barriers to solar and wind energy adoption in two Asian giants: India and Indonesia. Energy Policy 132, 1216–1228.
- Aisbett, E, Busse, M & Nunnenkamp, P 2018, 'Bilateral Investment Treaties as Deterrents of Host-country Discretion: The Impact of Investor-State
Disputes on Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries
', Review of World Economics, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 119-155pp.
- Aisbett, E, Doupé, P, & Tacconi, L 2017, 'Dynamic adjustment and the specification of empirical economic models of deforestation', Environment and Development Economics, pp. 1-20.
- Skovgaard Poulsen, L & Aisbett, E 2016, 'Diplomats Want Treaties: Diplomatic Agendas and Perks in the Investment Regime', Journal of International Dispute Settlement
, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 72-91.
- Aisbett, E & Steinhauser, R 2014, 'Maintaining the Common Pool: Voluntary Water Conservation in Response to Varying Scarcity', Environmental and Resource Economics, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 167-185.
- Aisbett, E & McAusland, C 2013, 'Firm characteristics and influence on government rule-making: Theory and evidence', European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 29, pp. 214-235.
- Skovgaard Poulsen, L & Aisbett, E 2013, 'When the Claim Hits: Bilateral Investment Treaties and Bounded Rational Learning', World Politics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 273-313.
- Aisbett, E, Karp, L & McAusland, C 2010, 'Police Powers, Regulatory Takings and the Efficient Compensation of Domestic and Foreign Investors', Economic Record, vol. 86, no. 274, pp. 367-383.
- Aisbett, E, Karp, L & MCAUSLAND, C 2010, 'Compensation for Indirect Expropriation in International Investment Agreements: Implications of National Treatment and Rights to Invest', Journal of Globalization and Development, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 1-33.
- Aisbett, E 2009, 'Bilateral Investment Treaties and Foreign Direct Investment: Correlation versus Causation', in Karl Sauvant and Lisa Sachs (ed.), The Effect of Treaties on Foreign Direct Investment: Bilateral Investment Treaties, Double Taxation Treaties, and Investment Flows, Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 395-437.
- Aisbett, E, Harrison, A & Peterson Zwane, A 2008, 'Globalization and Poverty: what is the evidence?', in E Dinopoulos, P Krishna, A Panagariya and K-Y Wong (ed.), Trade, Globalization and Poverty, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, Oxon, UK, pp. 33-61.
- Aisbett, E 2007, 'Why are the Critics So Convinced that Globalization is Bad for the Poor?', in Ann Harrison (ed.), Globalization and Poverty, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, USA, pp. 33-86.
- Aisbett, E 2005, 'Book review: Agricultural Policy Reform and the WTO: Where Are We Heading?', Journal of Economic Literature, vol. tba, pp. tba.