Professor Robert (Bob) Wasson is a geomorphologist with a PhD from Macquarie University, postdoctoral positions at the University of Auckland and the Australian National University (ANU). He has studied desert dunes, palaeoenvironmental change on centennial to millennial timescales, fluvial systems, mass movements, cross-disciplinary methods, and most recently extreme flood histories and mitigation strategies. He has held senior positions in Australia’s CSIRO, and at the Australian National University (Head of Geography, Director Centre for Environmental and Resource Studies, Dean of Science) and Charles Darwin University (Deputy Vice Chancellor Research). He joined the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2011 where he worked in the Geography Department, the Asia Research Institute and the Institute of Water Policy at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. He has done research in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Malaysia, India, Nepal, Pakistan, China, Myanmar and Thailand.
- Bhardwaj, A, Wasson, R, Winston T. L., C et al. 2021, 'Highâ€‘intensity monsoon rainfall variability and its attributes: a case study for Upper Ganges Catchment in the Indian Himalaya during 1901â€“2013', Natural Hazards, vol. 105, pp. 2907ÃÂ¢Ã¢Â¬Ã¢2936pp.
- Wasson, R, Saikia, A, Bansal, P et al. 2020, 'Flood Mitigation, Climate Change Adaptation, and Technological Lock-in in Assam', Ecology, Economy and Society - the INSEE, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 83 - 104pp.
- McWilliam, A, Wasson, R, Rouwenhorst, J et al. 2020, 'Disaster Risk Reduction, modern science and local knowledge: Perspectives from Timor-Leste', International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, vol. 50, pp. 1-10.
- Saynor, M, Wasson, R, Erskine, W et al. 2020, 'Holocene palaeohydrology of the East Alligator River, for application to mine site rehabilitation, Northern Australia', Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 249, pp. 1-14.
- Wasson, R 2005, 'Environmental earth science', in R.Q.Grafton, L.Robin & RJ Wasson (ed.), Understanding the environment: bridging the disciplinary divides, UNSW Press, Sydney, pp. 113-129.
- Newell, B, Crumley, C, Hassan, N et al 2005, 'A conceptual template for integrative human-environment research', Global Environmental Change - Human and Policy Dimensions, vol. 15, pp. 299-307.
- Steffen, W, Sanderson, A, Tyson, P et al, eds, 2004, Global Change and the Earth System: A Planet under pressure, Springer, Germany.
- Worthy, M & Wasson, R 2004, 'Fire as an agent of geomorphic change in Southeastern Australia: implications for water quality in the Australian Capital Territory', CRC LEME Regional Regolith Symposia 2004, ed. Ian C. Roach, CRC LEME, Perth, W.A, pp. 417-8.
- Wasson, R 2003, 'Connectivity', in Cary, G., Lindenmayer, D., and Dovers, S. (ed.), Australia burning: fire ecology, policy and management issues, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, pp. 166-169.
- Wasson, R 2003, 'Effective policy interventions in environmental systems using material budgets', in Stephen Dovers, David I. Stern and Michael Young (ed.), New Dimensions in Ecological Economics: Integrated Approaches to People and Nature, Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK, pp. 176-192.
- Wasson, R 2003, 'A sediment budget for the Ganga-Brahmaputra catchment', Current Science, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 1041-1047.
- Wasson, R & Claussen, M 2002, 'Earth system models: a test using the mid-Holocene in the Southern Hemisphere', Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 21, pp. 819-824.
- Wasson, R 2002, 'A longer-than-usual view of natural resource management on the Indo-Gangetic Plain: towards a dynamic framework of analysis', in Yash P. Abrol (ed.), Land Use -- Historical persectives: focus on Indo-Gangetic Plains, Allied Publishers, New Delhi, pp. 173-188.
- Visser, F, Roth, C, Wasson, R et al 2002, 'Quantifying sediment sources in lowlying sugarcane land: a sediment budget approach', The Structure, Function and Management Implications of Fluvial Sedminentary Systems, ed. Dyer, F J, Thoms, M C, and Olley, J M, International Association of Hydrological Sciences, Wallingford UK, pp. 169-175.
- Wasson, R 2002, 'Sedminent budgets, dynamics, and variability: new approaches and techniques', The Structure, Function and Management Implications of Fluvial Sedminentary Systems, ed. Dyer, F J, Thoms, M C, and Olley, J M, International Association of Hydrological Sciences, Wallingford UK, pp. 471-478.
- Srivastava, P, Juyal, N, Singhvi, A et al 2001, 'Luminescence chronology of river adjustment and incision of Quarternary sediments in the alluvial plain of the Sabarmati River, north Gujarat, India', Geomorphology, vol. 36, pp. 217-229.
- Wasson, R & Sidorchuk, A 2000, 'History for soil conservation and catchment management', in unknown (ed.), Environmental History and Policy: Still Settling Australia, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, pp. 97-117.
- Wasson, R 2000, 'Riparian vegetation and river channel size', Natural Resource Management, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3-7.