Dr Nigel Goodman
Nigel is a Research Fellow in Air Quality and Health based in the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health at ANU. Nigel is an experienced air quality scientist with expertise in reducing human exposure to the sources of indoor and outdoor air pollution. He is member of the Climate and Health Group at ANU, and the Healthy Environments and Lives (HEAL) National Research Network, where he helps to address the impacts of air pollution associated with climate and environmental change on human health.
Nigel completed his PhD in Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in 2019. During his PhD studies and subsequent postdoctoral research at the University of Melbourne and at RMIT University, he was the manager for the Indoor Air Quality project in the Clean Air Urban Landscapes (CAUL) Hub. In this role, he engaged with industry, academic, government, indigenous community partners, and the public.
Prior to his PhD studies Nigel was employed by CSIRO, where he contributed to experimental programs in electrochemistry and corrosion, and led projects on water recycling and water purification. He also contributed to over 67 technical reports and delivered high quality scientific solutions for industry and the Australian community.
Nigel has published journal articles and book chapters on topics that include air quality, consumer product emissions, volatile organic compounds, electrochemistry, desalination, water recycling, and pollutant exposures and effects. He has helped secure many successful research grants, including funding from the National Environmental Science Program (NESP), and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- Air pollution and interventions to reduce exposure
- Fine and ultrafine particulate matter
- Air filtration technologies
- Indoor air quality and interventions to reduce exposure
- Volatile emissions from consumer products and building materials
- Strategies to reduce exposure to indoor air pollution
- Low cost air quality sensors
- Researcher, Earth systems
- Researcher, Low carbon and resilient cities
- Researcher, Risk, vulnerability and resilience