What role will the energy sector play in the journey to net zero emissions?
Join us in this year’s Energy Update to discuss this question, and to hear about recent developments in energy research and analysis.
This year’s Update will provide an overview of energy sector developments, trajectories to decarbonisation, zero-emissions options for industry, and research and action on energy transition.
The Energy Update is followed by the annual ANU Solar Oration.
Speakers will include ANU academics, researchers from other organisations, and leading practitioners.
1.00 – 2.10 pm Update on Energy Developments, Decarbonisation Trajectories
Chair: Prof Mark Howden, ANU
- Prof Frank Jotzo, ANU: Energy Update 2021 PRESENTATION
- Prof Leon Clarke, University of Maryland: How the United States can achieve a 50% emissions cut by 2030 and net zero by 2050 PRESENTATION
- Prof Peta Ashworth, University of Queensland: Decarbonisation options for Australia
- Audience Q&A
Prof Frank Jotzo is Head of Energy at ICEDS and Professor at ANU Crawford School of Public Policy.
Prof Leon Clarke is Research Professor at University of Maryland’s School of Public Policy and Research Director for the Center for Global Sustainability.
Prof Peta Ashworth OAM is Chair in Sustainable Energy Futures at The University of Queensland (UQ), and the Director of the Andrew N. Liveris Academy for Innovation and Leadership.
2.10-2.30pm - Informal discussion and light refreshments for in-person attendees
2.30 - 3.30pm - Zero-emissions industries and the role of hydrogen
Chair: Prof Ken Baldwin, ANU
- Dr Fiona Beck, ANU: Hydrogen technologies, emissions and costs PRESENTATION
- Associate Prof John Pye, ANU: Green Iron and Steel PRESENTATION
- Dr Emma Aisbett, ANU: Trade and certification for green products and fuels PRESENTATION
- Marghanita Johnson, Australian Aluminium Council: Pathways for decarbonising Australia’s aluminium industry PRESENTATION
- Audience Q&A
Dr Fiona Beck is a Senior Lecturer at the College of Engineering & Computer Science and is the convenor of the Hydrogen Project, ANU Grand Challenge: Zero-Carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific.
Prof John Pye is an Associate Professor and Lecturer at the College of Engineering & Computer Science and is the convenor for Renewable Metal Refining Project for the ANU Grand Challenge: Zero-Carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific.
Dr Emma Aisbett is a Fellow at the School of Regulation and Global Governance where she also acts as associate Director for the ANU Grand Challenge.
Marghanita Johnson is the Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Aluminium Council.
3.30 - 4.00pm - Informal discussion and light refreshments for in-person attendees
4.00-5.00pm - Australia’s energy transition: the agenda for research and action
Chair: Prof Frank Jotzo, ANU
- Dr Bruce Godfrey, ACOLA and ATSE: ACOLA and Australia's Energy Transition Research Plan PRESENTATION
- Dr Amanda Cahill, The Next Economy: Regional issues in energy transition
- Dr Bec Colvin, ANU: Social and regional transition PRESENTATION
- Audience Q&A
Dr Bruce Godfrey is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering.
Dr Amanda Cahill is the CEO of The Next Economy and Adjunct Lecturer at the University of Queensland.
Dr Bec Colvin is a Senior Lecturer at the ANU Crawford School of Public Policy
5.00 - 5.30pm - Informal discussion and light refreshments for in-person attendees
5.30-7pm - ANU Solar Oration - The Solar Century - renewable energy's role in a zero carbon future. If you'd like to attend, please make a separate registration here.