Dr Yeliz Simsek is a Research Fellow working on modelling of decarbonisation trajectories and system interactions. She is currently based at the Institute for Climate, Energy and Disaster Solutions, ANU.
Dr Simsek has a multidisciplinary research experience and collaborations in the area of macroeconomic, energy and environmental modelling, across a number of international institutions including Turkey, Spain, Chile, Western Australia, and the UK. Before joining ANU, Dr Simsek was based at University of Exeter, UK working on modelling to contribute several European Commission (Horizon 2020) and the UK government projects (UK-SSP).
Her works on economy, energy and environmental modelling, climate and energy policy analysis, sustainable development goals, structural change, socio-technical energy transition and technological change-innovation have been published and submitted in leading international journals including Energy Policy, Energy, Global Environmental Change, Energy for Sustainable Development, Journal of Cleaner Production, Renewable Energy and Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Published journal articles, book chapters and reports
1. Julien Lefèvre, Thomas Le Gallic, Panagiotis Fragkos, Jean-François Mercure, Yeliz Simsek, Leonidas Paroussos, “Global socio-economic and climate change mitigation scenarios through the lens of structural change” (Global Environmental Change).
2. European Commission, Navigate Project: Assessing the Impacts of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Inequality, Energy Demand and Macroeconomic Development, and the Resulting Policy Implications (Climate Action in the Post-Covid-19 World, 2021, Report).
3. Merkle, M., Dellaccio, O., Dunford, R., Harmáčková, Z.V., Harrison, P.A., Mercure, J-F, Pedde,S., Seo, B., Simsek, Y., Stenning, J., Rounsevell, M. “Creating Quantitative Scenario Projections for the UK Shared Socioeconomic Pathways” (SSRN)
4. Jean-Francois Mercure, Aileen Lam, Florian Knobloch, Yeliz Simsek, “Book Chapter 14: Technology dynamics in a rapid low-carbon transition”. (Complexity Economics for Environmental Governance. forthcoming at Cambridge University Press, 2022, Book).
5. Yeliz Simsek, Hasret Sahin, Álvaro Lorca, Tania Urmee, Wayan Santika, Rodrigo Escobar “Comparison of Energy Scenario Alternatives for Chile: towards low-carbon energy transition by 2030” (Energy Journal). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544220311282
6. Yeliz Simsek, Wayan Santika, Anis Zaman, Tania Urmee, Parisa A. Bahri, Rodrigo Escobar “An analysis of energy requirement to meet Sustainable Development Goals” (Journal of Cleaner Production journal). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652620326937
7. Wayan G. Santika, Tania Urmee, Yeliz Simsek, Parisa A Bahri, M. Anisuzzaman “An assessment of energy policy impacts on achieving Sustainable Development Goal 7 in Indonesia (Energy for Sustainable Development journal). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0973082620302921
8. Nurcahyanto, Yeliz Simsek, Tania Urmee “Opportunities and Challenges in Developing Markets for Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) to Promote Energy Efficiency Programs in Indonesia” (Energy journal). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544220307106
9. Wayan G. Santika, M. Anisuzzaman, Yeliz Simsek, Parisa A. Bahri, Tania Urmee, GM Shafiullah “Implications of the Sustainable Development Goals on national energy demand: The case of Indonesia” (Energy journal). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544220302073
10. Yeliz Simsek, Álvaro Lorca, Tania Urmee, Parisa A. Bahri, Rodrigo Escobar “Review and Assessment of Energy Policy Developments in Chile” (Energy Policy). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421518307961
11. Caitlin Shem, Yeliz Simsek, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Tania Urmee “Potentials and opportunities for low carbon energy transition in Vietnam: A Policy Analysis” (Energy Policy). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421519303969
12. Yeliz Simsek, Carlos Mata-Torres, Amador M. Guzmán, Jose M. Cardemil, Rodrigo Escobar “Sensitivity and Effectiveness Analysis of Incentives for Concentrated Solar Power Projects in Chile” (Renewable Energy). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148118306426
13. Yeliz Simsek, David Watts, Rodrigo Escobar “Sustainability Evaluation of Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Projects under Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) by Using Multi-Criteria Decision Method (MCDM)” (Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews Journal).
14. Carlos Mata-Torres, Rodrigo A. Escobar, Jose M. Cardemil, Yeliz Simsek, Jose A. Matute “Solar polygeneration for electricity production and desalination: Case studies in Venezuela and northern Chile” (Renewable Energy).
15. Adriana Zurita, Armando Castillejo-Cuberos, Maurianny García, Carlos Mata-Torres, Yeliz Simsek, Redlich García, Fernando Antonanzas-Torres, Rodrigo A. Escobar “State of the art and future prospects for solar PV development in Chile” (Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews Journal).
16. Marco Raugei, Enrica Leccisi, Vasilis Fthenakis, Rodrigo Escobar Moragas, Yeliz Simsek “Net energy analysis and life cycle energy assessment of electricity supply in Chile: Present status and future scenarios” (Energy journal).
International conference papers
▪ Yeliz Simsek, Pim Vercoulin, Jean Francois Mercure, “Assessing the impact of climate policy on different income groups”. Fourteen IAMC Annual Meeting, Integrated Assessment Model Consortium, December 2021.
▪ Julien Lefèvre, Thomas Le Gallic, Panagiotis Fragkos, J-F Mercure, Yeliz Simsek, Economic structural change in global greenhouse gas emissions scenarios, Thirteen IAMC Annual Meeting, Integrated Assessment Model Consortium, December 2020.
▪ Yeliz Simsek, Pim Vercoulin, Jean Francois Mercure, “Modelling interaction of power sectors policies”. Thirteen IAMC Annual Meeting, Integrated Assessment Model Consortium, December 2020.
▪ Yeliz Simsek, Rodrigo Escobar “Energy Demand Analysis and Policy Instruments Assessment for Mining Industry in Chile” ISES, SWC, November 2019, Santiago, Chile.
▪ Yeliz Simsek, Carlos Mata, Parisa A. Bahri, Tania Urmee, Rodrigo Escobar “Combination of solar incentives to have the best mechanism”. 2018 International Conference on Smart Green Technology in Electrical and Information Systems (ICSGTEIS), Pages 29-34.
▪ Yeliz Simsek, Carlos Mata-Torres, Jose M. Cardemil, Rodrigo Escobar “Incentives and Financial Conditions Effect Analysis on Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCOE) and Government Cost for Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Projects in Chile”. AIP Conference Proceedings 2033 (1), 120005.