Dr Adele Morrison
My research aims to understand what drives the ocean's large-scale circulation. I use a range of high-resolution ocean and climate models to study past and future climate change, with a focus on understanding how ocean circulation changes and impacts global climate. Regionally, my main focus is on the Southern Ocean, investigating how eddies and the overturning circulation impact ocean heat and carbon uptake and the melt rate of Antarctic ice shelves.
- Martinez Moreno, J, Hogg, A, England, M et al. 2021, 'Global changes in oceanic mesoscale currents over the satellite altimetry record', Nature Climate Change, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 397-403.
- Morrison, A, Hogg, A, England, M et al. 2020, 'Warm Circumpolar Deep Water transport toward Antarctica driven by local dense water export in canyons', Science Advances, vol. 6, no. 18.
- Kiss, A, Hogg, A, Hannah, N et al. 2020, 'ACCESS-OM2 v1.0: A global ocean-sea ice model at three resolutions', Geoscientific Model Development, vol. 13, pp. 401-442.
- Moorman, R, Morrison, A K & Hogg, A McC 2020, 'Thermal Responses to Antarctic Ice Shelf Melt in an Eddy-Rich Global Ocean-Sea Ice Model', Journal of Climate, 33, 6599-6620.
- Chen, H, Morrison, A, Dufour, C et al 2019, 'Deciphering Patterns and Drivers of Heat and Carbon Storage in the Southern Ocean', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 3359-3367.
- Martinez Moreno, J, Hogg, A, Kiss, A et al. 2019, 'Kinetic Energy of Eddy-Like Features From Sea Surface Altimetry', Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 3090-3105.
- Drake, H, Morrison, A, Griffies, S et al. 2018, 'Lagrangian Timescales of Southern Ocean Upwelling in a Hierarchy of Model Resolutions', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 891-898pp.
- Fraser, C, Morrison, A, Hogg, A et al. 2018, 'Antarctica's ecological isolation will be broken by storm-driven dispersal and warming', Nature Climate Change, vol. 8, pp. 704-708pp.
- Dufour, C, Morrison, A, Griffies, S et al 2017, 'Preconditioning of the Weddell Sea Polynya by the Ocean Mesoscale and Dense Water Overflows', Journal of Climate, vol. 30, no. 19, pp. 7719-7737pp.
- Tamsitt, V, Drake, H F, Morrison, A K, Talley, L D, Dufour, C O, Gray, A R, Griffies, S M, Mazloff, M R, Sarmiento, J L, Wang, J, Weijer, W. 2017, 'Spiraling pathways of global deep waters to the surface of the Southern Ocean', Nature Communications, vol. 8, pp. 172.
- Jones, J, Gille, S, Goosse, H, Abram, N, et al 2016, 'Assessing recent trends in high-latitude Southern Hemisphere surface climate', Nature Climate Change, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 917-926.
- Hogg, A, Meredith, M, Chambers, D et al. 2015, 'Recent trends in the southern ocean eddy field', Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 257-267.
- Morrison, A, England, M & Hogg, A 2015, 'Response of Southern Ocean Convection and Abyssal Overturning to Surface Buoyancy Perturbations', Journal of Climate, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4263-4278.
- Morrison, A & Hogg, A 2013, 'On the relationship between southern ocean overturning and ACC transport', Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 140-148.
- Morrison, A, Saenko, O, Hogg, A et al. 2013, 'The role of vertical eddy flux in Southern Ocean heat uptake', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 40, no. 20, pp. 5445-5450.
- Morrison, A, Hogg, A & Ward, M 2011, 'Sensitivity of the Southern Ocean overturning circulation to surface buoyancy forcing', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, pp. L14602-5.
- Robins, N, Robins-Figl, C, Haine, S et al. 2006, 'Achieving Peak Brightness in an Atom Laser', Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, pp. 140403/1-4.
- Robins, N, Morrison, A, Hope, J et al 2005, 'Limits to the flux of a continuous atom laser', Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, vol. 72, pp. 031606/1-4.