Participants joined the ANU Energy Update to hear about recent developments in energy research and analysis in 2023.
This annual event brings together energy researchers, policymakers, industry and the public to discuss an overview of energy sector developments and present an update on trajectories to decarbonisation.
This year, we also focused on accelerating renewables on the grid and renewable energy-based exports.
2 - 2.50PM: WELCOME & KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Energy Update
Frank Jotzo, Head of Energy, ANU Institute for Climate, Energy & Disaster Solutions; and Professor at ANU Crawford School of Public Policy, provided an update on decarbonisation and identified the key issues contributing to current trajectories. [DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION]
The session concluded with an in-conversation and audience Q&A moderated by Beck Pearse, Lecturer, ANU School of Sociology and ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences.
2.50PM - 3.30 PM: Afternoon Tea
3.30 - 4.30 PM: ACCELERATING RENEWABLES ON THE GRID
- Tim Jordan, Commissioner, Australian Energy Market Commission (via Zoom)
- Kylie Catchpole, Professor at ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics [DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION]
- Elizabeth Ratnam, FERL Fellow; Senior Lecturer, ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics [DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION]
- Andrew Thomson, Director of Market Operations, Squadron Energy
- Alix Ziebell, Engagement and Impact Lead, ANU Battery Storage and Grid Integration Program (Moderator)
4.30 - 5 PM: Break
5 - 6 PM: RENEWABLE ENERGY-BASED EXPORTS: Do we need an Australian Inflation Reduction Act?
- Fiona J Beck, Co-lead, Renewable Fuels Research Group; Convenor, Hydrogen Fuels Project, Associate Professor at ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics
- Tim Buckley, Founder and Director, Climate Energy Finance [DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION]
- Emma Aisbett, Associate Professor at ANU College of Law; Associate Director (Research), ANU Grand Challenge Zero-Carbon Energy for the Asia-Pacific
- Paul Burke, Head, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics; Deputy Director and Professor at ANU Crawford School of Public Policy [DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION]
- Marcus Priest, Budget Group, Department of Finance (Moderator)
- Please click here for more information on getting to our events.
- By registering for this event you are also subscribing to the ANU Institute for Climate, Energy & Disaster Solutions mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of correspondence. Find out more information in the event registration privacy notice.