ANU Climate Update 2023 presented an overview of how our climate is changing and how we can respond to these changes, with a focus on effective carbon removal.
Hosted in-person at The Australian National University and online, this annual event brings together experts, policymakers, students, industry and the community to discuss the state of our climate and what can be done to tackle climate change.
3-4.10pm - State of our Climate
This session summarised the latest climate research, including a snapshot of newly released data on how our climate changed in 2022, both in Australia and around the world.
- Kristin Tilley, Australia's Ambassador for Climate Change - Opening Address
- Professor Mark Howden, Director, ANU Institute for Climate, Energy & Disaster Solutions; Vice-Chair, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; Chair, ACT Climate Council - Global Climate Overview 2022 DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Professor Penny King, ANU Research School of Earth Sciences; Associate Dean (Research), ANU College of Science - Moderator
4.10-4.40pm - Break
Light refreshments available for in-person participants
4.40-6pm - How can we sequester carbon whilst supporting other societal goals?
Whilst reducing greenhouse gas emissions at their source is always preferable to drawing them down later, some emissions are very difficult to abate and there will be an ongoing role for carbon removal to meet our climate targets as outlined in the Paris Agreement. This session focused on how we can ensure the integrity of carbon dioxide removal and concurrently maximise other co-benefits such as supporting biodiversity and First Nations communities.
- Professor Deanna D'Alessandro, Professor and ARC Future Fellow, The University of Sydney - Negative emissions agenda DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Professor Andrew Macintosh, ANU College of Law - Carbon Sequestration & Integrity DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Dr Sarah Milne, Senior Lecturer, ANU Crawford School of Public Policy - Co-benefits DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Caitlyn Baljak, Emissions Removal Manager, ANU Below Zero - Moderator
Please click here for more information on getting to our events.
By registering for this event you are also subscribing to the ANU Institute for Climate, Energy & Disaster Solutions mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of correspondence. Find out more information in the Event registration privacy notice.